The Sèvres Porcelain manufactory was founded
to the east of Paris in the disused royal château
of Vincennes, late in 1739-40. It was not until 1756
that it moved to the village of Sèvres, west
of Paris, en route to King Louis XV's palace of Versailles.
Here it was also adjacent to Louis's mistress, Madame
de Pompadour a great lover of Sèvres porcelain,
own château at Bellevue. She was delighted with
the factory's new location - as she knew she could
entice Louis to take a greater interest in it when
it was so near their own residences. Indeed, the King
became such a keen patron of the factory that, when
it ran into financial difficulties, he bought out
the shareholders and became the sole proprietor. The
factory remained a royal enterprise until the French
Revolution, when it was nationalised.
Sevres Porcelain is considered the finest of
the French porcelains. We carry a huge selection and
variety of sevre porcelain Objects D'Art including
some of the most important pairs of large bronze mounted
click on the thumbnail images or the item number to
the left for a full view along with a brief
description of the items.