An Outstanding and Museum Quality Mid 19th Century Gilt Wood Forty Six String Gothic “Angel” Harp by Erard

Item # 3345

The top of the gilt column wonderfully carved with angels playing instruments above the very finely carved twisted body with berries and foliage, leading down to a seven pedestal base with two sitting tigers.

The brass stamped Erard, with serial number 3622 on one side and Erard, 13 Rue du Mail Paris on the other side.

Erard is the oldest and most prestigious French piano manufacturer. The firm was founded by Sebastian Erard who built his first piano in 1777 in Paris. Erard’s fame spread and royal commissions followed for Louis XVI and Marie Antoinette. This, however, was not a plus for Erard during the French Revolution. He was obliged to leave the country and he relocated to London where he set up operations in 1792. He later returned to Paris and began production there as well, only to suffer restrictions due to the Napoleonic Wars.

Pierre Erard, Sebastian’s nephew, took charge of the business in 1834. Instruments were manufactured in London until 1890 while production continues in France today. Erard merged with Gaveau in 1959. Throughout its long history, Erard has been acclaimed for pianos of the highest quality. Erard pianos were favored by Haydn, Beethoven, Mendelssohn, Liszt, and of course, Paderewski.

Details
Height: 70 inches / 178cm
Width: 20 inches / 51cm
Depth: 40 inches / 102cm

Categories: , , ,

Interested in this piece?

  • This field is for validation purposes and should be left unchanged.