Rare Late 19th Century Gilt Bronze Mounted Louis XV Style Tulipwood and Marquetry Side Cabinet By François Linke
Item # CC1087
François Linke – Index no. 851
The serpentine marble top above a conforming case enclosed by a single panel door decorated with a panel of an urn of flowers and foliage flanked by trumpeting angels within cast encadrements, the sides with panels of scrolling foliage and flora within similar encadrements, raised on short splayed legs headed by chutes with male and female busts trailing to lion paw sabots.
Signed Linke, FL stamp under one mount, lock stamped CT LINKE SERRURERIE A PARIS and numbered 176.
Pictured on Page 273 in “François Linke 1855-1946 The Belle Epoque of French Furniture” By Christopher Payne.
Linke was born in Pankraz in Bohemia and was celebrated by the French as one of the greatest ébénistes of meubles de style at the turn of the century. He began his apprenticeship with a Bohemian master at the age of thirteen. Four years later, he toured Austria, settling and working in Vienna for two years.Linke arrived in Paris in 1875, and by 1881 he had established his own small workshop at 170 rue du Faubourg St. Antoine. Taking 18th century styles as his starting point and adapting earlier styles to contemporary taste, Linke produced fine quality furniture, steadily expanding his business during the next 20 years. He firmly established his reputation after receiving a gold medal at the Paris Universal Exhibition of 1900 for his extraordinary Grand Bureau. He continued to use international fairs as a means of exploring new markets, exhibiting at the 1904 World’s Fair in St. Louis, the Liege in Belgium and the 1908 Franco-British exhibition in London. Linke’s highly original designs sprang from the Régence and Rococo styles but were imbued with something quite new – Rococo curves were laden with gilt-bronze sculptural mounts in the tradition of A.-C. Boulle (1642-1732) or Charles Cressent (1685-1758). Stylistically, the new designs still adhered to the Rococo; the novelty, however, was Linke’s fusion of the Rococo with the liveliness and the fluidity of the ‘art nouveau’. The Revue called Linke’s creations entierement nouveau, and continued to say that ‘Linke’s stand is the biggest show in the history of art furniture in the year 1900…’ The mounts, or rather sculpture, were characteristic of the finest pieces from the Linke workshops. The most original designs were almost certainly created in collaboration with the enigmatic sculptor Léon Messagé, who excelled in creating lively, high relief, allegorical figures recalling the styles of Boucher and Falconet.
Today, as in the past, Linke is best known for the exceptionally high quality of his work, as well as his individualism and inventiveness. All of his work has the finest, most lavish mounts. The technical brilliance of his work and the artistic change that it represented has never been repeated.
Height – 48 inches / 122cm
Width – 34 inches / 86cm
Depth – 16 inches / 41cm