A Beautiful and Large Late 19th Century Berlin K.P.M. Porcelain Oval Plaque Signed Wagner
Item # CC1240
The portrait of a lovely woman entitled ‘Agesta’, after the artist Angelo Asti.
Impressed K.P.M and scepter marks, in the original frame.
KPM is an acronym for Königliche Porzellan-Manufaktur Berlin, which translates to “Royal Porcelain Factory in Berlin.” The company was founded in 1763 by Frederick II of Prussia, who bought the factory from its previous owner, Johann Ernst Gotzkowsky, in the wake of its bankruptcy. Frederick II greatly admired the factory’s “white gold,” a type of porcelain so fine and translucent that it closely mirrored the high-quality porcelain made in China. He invested large sums of money into the company and granted it the use of the royal scepter as its emblem. He also commissioned many KPM porcelain objects to be made in the Rococo style for his palace.
Height – 13.5 inches / 34cm
Width – 11 inches / 28cm
Height – 19 inches / 48cm
Width – 17 inches / 43cm