A Lovely Late 19th Century Berlin K.P.M. Porcelain Plaque

Item # CC332

The portrait of a beautiful woman glancing afar.

Impressed K.P.M and scepter marks, in the original frame.

KPM is an acronym for Königliche Porzellan-Manufaktur Berlin, which translates to “Royal Porcelain Factory in Berlin.” The company was founded in 1763 by Frederick II of Prussia, who bought the factory from its previous owner, Johann Ernst Gotzkowsky, in the wake of its bankruptcy. Frederick II greatly admired the factory’s “white gold,” a type of porcelain so fine and translucent that it closely mirrored the high-quality porcelain made in China. He invested large sums of money into the company and granted it the use of the royal scepter as its emblem. He also commissioned many KPM porcelain objects to be made in the Rococo style for his palace.

Plaque:
Height – 8.5 inches / 22cm
Width –  5.5 inches / 14cm

Frame:
Height – 12 inches / 30cm
Width – 9 inches / 23cm

Category:

Interested in this piece?

  • This field is for validation purposes and should be left unchanged.