A Pair of Late 19th Century French Bronze and Griotte Uni Marble Ewers After Claude-Michel Clodion
Item # 8723
After Claude-Michel Clodion
Each with fluted spreading neck fronted with a grotesque mask and a pair of entwined serpent handles, above the tapering body cast in high relief with satyrs, bacchante and putti with acanthus-cast lower section , on a square base.
Claude Michael Clodion, [1738-1814], was the son-in-law of sculptor Augustin Pajou; he trained in Paris in the workshops of Lambert Sigisbert Adam, his maternal uncle and Jean-Baptiste Pigalle, the most successful sculptor of the time. After winning the Prix de Rome, he moved to Italy, sharing a studio with Jean-Antoine Houdon and studying antique, Renaissance, and Baroque sculpture.
In 1771 Clodion returned to Paris, where he continued to produce mostly in terracotta. He also worked with his brothers in other media, decorating objects such as candelabra, clocks, and vases. Drawing primarily from pagan antiquity, he created light-hearted terracotta sculptures that epitomized the Rococo style. Late in his life, when Neo-classical works were more popular, Clodion adjusted his style and worked on major public monuments in Paris.
Height – 21 inches / 53cm
Width – 11 inches / 28cm