A Spectacular Set of Late 19th Century Gilt Bronze Mounted Sèvres Style Vases and Pedestals
Item # ES5
The vases of baluster form, the domed covers surmounted by a pinecone finial, the front with painted scenes of women and cherubs, the reverse with landscaping scenes, the vase surrounded with raised gilt floral designs, flanked by gilt bronze handles.
Signed by the artist “Rochette”
The Pedestals with a square onyx top above a columnar support painted with musical trophies in a oval panel, flanked by scrolling gilt foliage, on a stepped onyx base.
Signed by the artist “Lucot”
In late 1739 – early 1740 the Sèvres Porcelain Factory opened in the Royal Château of Vincennes, Sixteen years later in 1756 the factory moved to the village of Sèvres located outside of Paris and in route to Louis XV’s Palace of Versailles where it became the preeminent porcelain manufacturer in Europe. When the company ran into financial difficulties, the King who had become an avid client bought out the shareholders and became the sole owner. The factory remained in the royal family until it was nationalized following the French Revolution.
The range of objects produced in the first half of the nineteenth century was enormous, as were the types of decoration that they employed. The Sèvres factory produced ninety-two new designs for vases. The factory is still in production today.
Height – 37 inches / 94cm
Width – 16 inches / 41cm
Depth – 12 inches / 30cm
Height – 40 inches / 102cm
Width – 11 inches / 28cm
Depth – 11 inches / 28cm